Website Eden Village Camp
Jewish Farm-to-Table Sleepaway Camp
Spend your summer outside, connecting with the earth, growing veggies, caring for animals, and inspiring young people! Harness your skills as an educator and farmer by teaching about ecosystems, permaculture, beekeeping, food justice, and more. Outside of teaching, our farm team takes care of three acres of farmland including a fruit orchard, a permaculture and herbal medicine garden, organic vegetable and flower production, and our community’s chickens, goats, and bees. Connect with yourself, the land, and ancient Jewish traditions as you lead by example and live your environmental and social justice values in land-based community.
Eden Village camp is a non-profit overnight camp rooted in the Jewish vision of creating a more environmentally sustainable, socially just, and spiritually connected world. We’re dedicated to providing campers with an incredible summer experience while empowering them to promote a vibrant future for themselves, their communities, and planet.
- Live on site at Eden Village Camp for the duration of your employment
- Ready to work in nature, regardless of weather conditions
- Prior experience as an educator
- Familiar with sustainable agriculture
- Work well on a team and be open to direction from your supervisor.
- Interested in small-scale educational farming
- Committed to creating a more sustainable, loving earth
- Demonstrate timeliness and attention to detail
- Passionate about food justice and Jewish community
- Specialists must be at least 19 years old, and are expected to stay at camp the entire season and attend staff training.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Work on a team of 4-6 farmers, supervised by our farm director to tend 3 acres of vegetable, flower, and medicinal herb production, 100 fruit trees, and chickens and bees.
- Run 3-4 engaging and educational farm based programs for campers ages 8-16 every day. You are coming into years of pre-written lesson plans with the ability to tinker and personalize.
Help harvest, process and prepare medicinal herbs from our organic garden.
- Ideally, you can help draw connections between being Jewish and growing food for ourselves and our community…but we can help with that.
- Flexible and able to go with the flow as challenges arise
Community-minded with an emphasis on intentional Jewish community experience
- Excited to work at a summer camp with kids of all ages
- Attend and support evening programming as needed
All staff at Eden Village, regardless of their job, should expect to support the running of camp in a variety of ways that are not outlined here. As a community working collectively to keep 200 children safe and happy, each summer is full of unexpected blessings and challenges. We rely on our staff’s flexibility to meet those challenges.
Why you’ll love it!
- Experience deep community with a vibrant staff of 120 young people from all over the world and a core cohort of 15 other educators specializing in art, herbs, farm, wilderness skills, and more! Our community values skills sharing, spiritual growth, and inclusivity.
- You’ll enjoy three kosher, organic, locally sourced meals a day.
- We have a secret little room just for staff snack…and a not-so-secret not-so-little FARM full of fresh off the vine snacks! We’re munching on cherry tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, cucumbers, peaches, cherries, carrots, and so much more all summer long.
- You get to hang out with goats!
- We have at least one staff fun activity every night and staff-only swim a few times a week.
- You’ll inspire kids to be more playful, kind, caring, joyful, and grateful- changing their lives and changing the world!
Dates: May 31 – August 21, 2023 with the possibility of starting June 14th if needed.
Time Off: All staff receive one 24-hour day off per week, and around 3 hours off every day.
Salary: $2,000 base salary, additional compensation based on experience
To apply for this job please visit edenvillagecamp.org.